Which is why I've chosen today to reflect on some of the major events in my recent life.
Today (5th Nov 2017), marks 7 years since my brain injury left me lying on the bathroom floor fighting for my life. So much has changed since then and when I look back to reflect on both the set backs and triumphs I've endured, I'm often dumbfounded with how much I've gone through.
This is by no means a highlight reel, but more of a reminder to myself on days like this, where I can't find reasons to keep going.
Some of the positive and negative events over the last 10 years.
- AUG 2008 - I was made redundant from a role I had successfully held for 8 years. The immediate redundancy came as a complete shock. I was devastated to say the least.
- NOV 2010 - Sustained a ruptured brain aneurysm. One of 2 main arteries in the base of my brain suffered a near-fatal rupture.
- NOV 2010 - Endured a punctured lung during a routine procedure.
- NOV 2010 - APR 2011 - Underwent 2 surgeries (1 unsuccessful), recovery and rehab and was an outpatient for months
- JAN 2011 - It was confirmed that I was single sided deaf. Sound would never reach my brain through my right ear again, as a result of the brain surgery.
- MAR 2011 - I was denied the ability (Dr's orders) to go back to work full time. I was granted x2 4hr slots a week for 12 months
- APR 2011 - Diagnosed with Clinical Depression and put on medication and psych therapy.
- APR 2011 - DEC 2011 - Chased by debt collectors daily to pay 6-figures worth of medical bills that I just couldn't afford.
- OCT 2011 - Let go (or fired - in nice terms) from my marketing role that I wasn't able to do within my allocated hours.
- OCT 2011 - APR 2012 - Unemployed with a mortgage.
- APR 2012 - Landed a part time role at a charity, which turned into a full time role.
- MAR 2013 - Attempted suicide.
- OCT 2013 - Resigned from a full time role in charity to start my own business (More For Me)
- 2014 - Attempted suicide twice
- JUN 2014 - Made the decision to return to full time commercial work.
- NOV 2014 - Made the difficult decision to cease More For Me operations as it wasn't able to support me completely.
- NOV 2014 - Sold my house and purchased anoher towards the city.
- DEC 2014 - Was promoted to head of my department in my commercial role.
- AUG 2015 - Resigned from a well-paying full time role without another role to go to.
- AUG 2015 - Secured another role within 7 days of resigning.
- JUL 2016 - Promoted and acquired another team while doubling my pre-injury salary
- AUG 2016 - Purchased another house and married the love of my life.
- NOV 2016 - While working FT, began my journey as a speaker and mentor
- DEC 2016 - Admitted to hospital after suffering a suspected stroke. Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and PTSD.
- AUG 2017 - Suddenly made redundant. Now unemployed with 2 mortgages for 3 months.
- NOV 2017 - Landed a contract to launch a product to disrupt the marketing industry.
The list above is not inclusive of every single thing that has happened to me, but it does share some significant events. By thinking about them and listing them down it has really humbled me and shown me that although the majority of events are negative, there are still some great wins throughout that time.
If I'm being honest, I don't think that some of the positive events would've occurred if I didn't suffer a near-death experience. It certainly changes your life by giving you a different perspective as to what is important in life and where you should focus your energy.
By looking through this list I am proud of myself. Something that I wouldn't say often (or ever). I have overcome significant challenges, as well as picked myself up and made something great out of what could've been dire.